University Faculty for Life is now accepting submissions from college or university students for its Scholarly Achievement Award. Students may submit work in three categories: Creative Writing, Literary Criticism, or Research. Work submitted in any category must demonstrate the application of a life-affirming perspective on abortion, infanticide, euthanasia, or related issues. Winners in each category will receive $200.
The student scholars who win in any category may be offered an opportunity to read their work before the annual conference of University Faculty for Life to be held June 1-2, 2012 at Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah. They may have their work published on UFL’s website.
1. Students must be enrolled in a college or university at time of submission of work; a copy of an identification card with current college or university sticker will suffice.
2. The student shall affirm in a cover letter that the work submitted is the student’s original work. Please enclose address and contact information in this letter.
3. Essay submissions must be a minimum of six but no more than ten pages double-spaced.
4. Students retain the right of publication.
5. A panel of judges will evaluate submissions based on the quality of research and the demonstration of strong communication and critical thinking skills. Correct grammar and punctuation are required. Research must follow either the APA Manual or the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, latest editions. The judges reserve the right to give a partial or no award if the quality of the submissions merits such action. The decision of the judges is final.
6. Students should submit their work electronically in Word format to DrJeffKoloze@att.net. The cover letter and a hard copy of the paper may be mailed to UFL Scholarly Achievement Award, 10019 Granger Road, Garfield Heights, Ohio 44125-3101.
Entries must be emailed or postmarked on or before 11:59 PM on Saturday, 19 May 2012.
All winners will be announced at the annual conference next June at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.
University Faculty for Life is an organization of scholars dedicated to the intellectual and scholarly inquiry of abortion, infanticide, euthanasia, and related issues. We would like to encourage prolife students to strive for scholarly excellence as they examine these issues and by assisting them with building a publications portfolio.
A list of former winner can be found on the University Faculty for Life website here.